High-Quality, Durable Mouthguards in Melbourne
Each year, thousands of people are treated for dental injuries which could have been prevented or minimised by wearing a protective custom made mouth guard. It is therefore important to understand how best to protect teeth against injury. For parents who have children participating in sport (or do so themselves), this page is a must read.
Why Wear a Dental Mouth Guard?
Mouthguards help to absorb the shock from a collision or impact to the face. The protection of a dental mouth guard can reduce or even completely stop damage to the teeth caused by impacts. Trauma can include chipped, broken or lost teeth, nerve damage and/or soft tissue injuries.
Tips About Mouthguards
- Mouthguards should be worn at training and during game play in sports that carry the risk of contact to the face.
- Check your mouthguard every 12 months for optimum fit to ensure best protection. Younger children who are still losing baby teeth may need to have their mouthguard reviewed more regularly.
- As per the Australian Dental Association recommendations, mouthguards should be custom-made and professionally fitted for maximum protection. A custom fit is NOT provided by mouthguards that can be purchased from pharmacies, sports stores or for ‘home fitting’. The dangers of wearing non-custom made mouth guards can include inaccuracy of fitting leading to inadequate protection, or even the dangerous outcome of obstruction of breathing.
Make an Enquiry Today
Play Sports with Confidence
Our South Melbourne clinic can design a custom made mouth guard so you can worry less about your teeth and focus on bringing your A-game to the playing field!
Get Custom Mouthguards in Melbourne Today
Are you wondering “where can I find a dentist near me who can provide a custom made mouth guard?” Get in touch Dental on Clarendon to learn more about our dentist mouth guard prices or enquire about our other dental treatments and services. Submit an enquiry through our contact page or call us on (03) 9690 3285 to book an appointment.
Commonly Asked Questions
There are several types of mouthguards Melbourne dentists recommend that differ in terms of dentist mouth guard prices and usefulness:
- Custom made mouth guards: These are moulded and fitted at our South Melbourne clinic to precisely fit your teeth structure, offering maximum protection.
- Mouth-formed mouthguards: These are immersed into boiling water and then placed into your mouth to ensure it’s shaped around the contours of your teeth.
- Ready-made mouthguards: These can be brought over-the-counter and are available at low dentist mouth guard prices. However, they’re the least comfortable and effective option available.
- Teeth and gums
- Australian Rules Football
- Martial arts
- Plus all other contact sports
- Look for any signs of wear and damage
- Store it in a vented container
- Keep it out of sunlight when not in use
- Rinse before and after use with your toothbrush
- Get your dentist to examine your mouthguard during your check-up appointments